_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Concentration

At least for this first month, I've had an easier time concentrating on tasks like reading research materials for long periods of time than I did during undergrad. This is probably partially due to the sense of deadline urgency that has surrounded much of the reading, and the fact that I've been good about going places without distractions, like a deserted lawn or the library. But it's still a pleasant surprise, since I had assumed that a hard part of going back to school would be a decreased ability to focus academically since being away from it. It's a good thing I haven't had as much trouble as anticipated, because the workload continues to be rather large.


In other matters, things I have narrowly avoided hitting while riding my bicycle in the past week: 1) an enormous rat 2) a syringe. Yay Baltimore!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, I would be willing to wager that taking a break from school might actually help. By the time we all graduated, we'd been in school every year ever since we were tots. Time for a breather.

But maybe I'm biased :)

Teague said...

Yeah, that's a pretty good theory. And the sometimes boring routines of workplaces probably help underscore the more interesting elements of schoolwork by comparison.