_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Thursday, March 04, 2010

Facilities

I'm here at Dulles airport, heading to San Francisco to visit Davin.

EDIT: Apparently the email posting thingy cut off the rest of my post. What I was going to say was that this picture is of the Concourse B terminal for the new airport shuttle train at Dulles. As you can see, it's a huge piece of infrastructure, all for getting you a couple thousand feet from the ticket counters.

Riding the new train reminded me of the airport commission meetings I used to attend at my old job in Minneapolis. You could tell that the facilities planning people were just giddy about building shiny new things, sometimes (it seemed) just for the sake of building shiny new things. This made me think that working at a major airport would be the pinnacle of a facilities planning career -- there's always stuff that needs building, and there's a steady stream of funds from the Passenger Facility Charges.

4 comments:

Stephen said...

How do you like the SkyTrain? Hope your trip is smooth!

lj said...

Is that the men's room? (I've heard that everything is bigger in Texas.)

Teague said...

The SkyTrain was pretty slick (better than the "mobile lounges," certainly). As you can see, the terminal is huuuge.

LJ: Dulles Airport in VA, not Dallas...

lj said...

Doh! I'm trying to think of a reason why I'd have that mixed up, but I think I'm just stupid.

(And that was just the first thing I thought of when I saw "Facilities"...)