_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Speedy coconut


On Sunday night, I purchased the above can of coconut milk at the grocery store here in Mt. Pleasant, and used it to make a curry stew. When opening it, I noticed that it said:

PRO: 09/05/2011
EXP: 09/05/2013


Presumably, this means that it was produced on September 5. I bought it on September 11. But it's a product of Thailand! Six days seems exceedingly fast for it to make it from the factory in Thailand to the distributor, to the grocer, to the shelf. I was perplexed, and left to wonder if perhaps their production stamp dates aren't totally accurate...

2 comments:

Doug said...

Could also be that the month and day are reversed from the 'merican style--as they are in Europe, etc. Which would make it May 9th, not September 5th.

Teague said...

Ah, I think you are quite correct, Doug.