_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Thrift

Hey, take a look at this website.

Ignoring the actual content, it looks like someone's personal homepage circa 1998 that has been left to gather dust in a dark corner of the internet. The format, the icons, the fonts -- old-school, all around. But this is the website of the Thrift Savings Plan, the federal employee equivalent of a 401(k). It manages about $225 billion in assets (as of June...a lot less now, I'm sure).

I'm not sure how such a large entity, with millions of users, can have such an anachronistic website. Then again, their fees are miniscule -- about 15 cents annually for each $1,000 of assets invested. I, for one, would be willing to increase that to 16 cents if it would pay for a better website (which it certainly would, since that would be tens of millions of dollars).

Anyway, I suppose I shouldn't diss TSP for being a bit stodgy -- I think we've all probably had enough of flashy financial management for the time being...

2 comments:

David S said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
David S said...

nice. kind of reminds me of Berkshire Hathaway