_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Monday, March 30, 2009

Copy editing

I've noticed more typos in news articles in the last six months or so, especially in the Times. It used to be that I might see an error a couple times a year, but recently I seem to see one every couple weeks. This could be a result of me becoming more obsessive, but it's probably due to some combination of reduced copy-editing staff and the papers trying to strike a balance between quality and timely posting of news to their websites.

In any case, here's a doozy I saw just now in the NYT article on the resignation of GM CEO Rick Wagoner:

Like Mr. Wagoner, Mr. Henderson is a graduate of the Harvard Business School and a lifer at G.M. He started in the finance division in 1884 and later spent nine years in executive positions...

1 comment:

goodbadi said...

That's pretty long ago, I'd say. And pretty glaring. I'm all about such obsessiveness...