_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Perfect

we're special
in other ways
ways our
mothers appreciate


I saw Built to Spill last night, on their tour performing Perfect From Now On. It was great to hear them play that album, which has always been way up on my list. I thought that "I Would Hurt a Fly" gained the most from a live performance. Upon finishing the album, they also launched directly into a stellar version of "Goin' Against Your Mind," spiked with a couple explicitly political tweaks to the lyrics. (Also explicitly political: the Aussie first opening band ripping apart a cardboard cutout of George Bush onstage during the Meat Puppets' set.)

I rode my bike down there to meet Stephen and Laura, and the ride back reminded me that a bicycle is most definitely the ideal way to return home from a concert...limber up standing-stiffened legs, feel the brisk night air, and enjoy the quiet, which is slightly enhanced by muffled hearing...

No comments: