_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Monday, September 29, 2008

Singled out

There's this lady I see every week or two on my ride home from work, always somewhere within about 4 or 5 blocks of the Giant store in Shaw. I suspect she's schizophrenic, or otherwise mentally ill in some way, because she is always delivering a monologue to no one in particular, speaking loudly (but not yelling) as she walks. I can only hear a few phrases as I ride past, but her monologues seem to focus on power relationships -- she is always telling unseen conversation partners how a boss, a political entity or an institution is screwing them over without their knowledge.

Today as I rolled up to a red light, I recognized her voice and cadence, and looked at her walking down the sidewalk.  She looked at me as she continued, "...who was fired for testifying to Congress against THIS MAN'S [stabbing hand in my direction] boss."  She kept walking past me, and the light changed, so I didn't really catch much more. There wasn't anyone else there to hear the accusation, but I felt weird for a moment anyway.

1 comment:

lj said...

So...any interesting news at work lately?